{/Love You More and More.
{/Saturday, May 21, 2005, @2:26 PM.
{ Burnout and sth ABOUT MOI! }
This is just something I get from my mail on a regular basis. Hope this can be some help to u people out there as well as I can rmb it myself too, if Blogger doesn't crash one day haha....

In some ways it was a typical breakfast meeting. The waitress was pleasant, the eggs were average, and the restaurant was full of busy people. We shared a cup of black, coffee-like substance, and the first few times my client took a sip he managed to spill quite a bit of it. His trembling hand was just one of the symptomsof his burnout. That’s why we were meeting. He wanted to know if Icould help him.

I picked up a fork and explained that as long as I used it for eating, the fork would last indefinitely. However, if I began to use it to drive nails or dig trenches, it would soon break. The key was to use it for what it was designed to do.The look in his eyes told me he got it, but I still went on to say that people are like the fork. When they do what they are not designed to do, they eventually break. Sure enough, his MAPP showed that he was designed to work on projects where there was a definite goal. He derived immense satisfaction from reaching goals. He also needed to work by himself about half the time. He was a scientist and enjoyed lab time, doing calculations, and interpreting test results.What his job required on a day-to-day basis was another story. His primary task was to supervise a dozen people and maintain operations.No goals. No projects. No time alone. Consequently, his job was sucking the life out of him. Much credit for his recovery goes to his boss who was willing to change the job content to fit the design of a valuable employee.

So how do you know if you, a loved one, or someone who reports to you is suffering from burnout? Here are the early warning signs.

1. chronic fatigue - exhaustion, tiredness, a sense of being physically rundown
2. anger at those making demands
3. self-criticism for putting up with the demands
4. cynicism, negativity, and irritability
5. a sense of being besieged
6. exploding easily at seemingly inconsequential things
7. frequent headaches and gastrointestinal disturbances
8. weight loss or gain
9. sleeplessness and depression
10. shortness of breath
11. suspiciousness
12. feelings of helplessness
13. increased degree of risk taking

Haha, something interesting to note here... I realize I had symptoms 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, 12 and 13 during the first 3 months and when I was doing stuff as an ogl haha. Now i finally understand why and for now, thr's reason for joy cos the symptoms i have has reduced to only 8 and 10 haha but i'm telling you that 10 is a killer. Not getting enough breath is really hard. It's so suffocating, i thought i'd just die. Though my dad has told me before that my shortness of breath is caused by my crouching with the side of the body with the heart lying on the back. That means i don't sleep with my back. Well, just sth to read about which is kinda interesting. It's interesting to me, at least.

2 Comments:

Gosh i think i've got all those in these past few weeks i think i gotta see a shrink soon

By Blogger Pamela, at 7:42 PM  

oops except no.8 where my weight is rather constant although i've been pigging out lately.....

By Blogger Pamela, at 7:43 PM  

Post Comment - that you lurve Da Dong too haha

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]